Food Quotes

"Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it." ~Julia Child


Luv2Cook

I am a single mother of two beautiful children Ben and Sophia. Together the three of us are setting out to explore all things culinary. We are planning on sharing all of our experiences such as creating a new recipe, making sweet treats, finding interesting places to eat, and whatever else we decide to share. The most important thing is to get them involved in the whole process so that they wont be so picky and hopefully gain an appreciation for ingredients.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Pantry Chili


One Pot Chili
Curly Fries


Curly Fries with Chili

Curly Fries topped with Chili and Homemade Cheese Sauce

Kids digging in!
I made chili today as requested by Ben. Well actually he has been asking for the chili cheese fries from the diner down the road. I told him we could compromise and he agreed. So I looked in my pantry to make sure I in fact had the necessary ingredients to even be able to make it. Which luckliy I did, I had cannelini beans and black beans, I was hoping I had kidney beans to at least have 3 different beans but did not. I had chicken stock, tomato paste and diced rotel tomatoes. That was a start, I knew I would have all the spices and checked to see if I had beef in the freezer to make it a meat chili and I did as well. I had curly fries in the freezer which i baked while I worked on the chili. I sauteed some onion, garlic and beef then added all the spices and let cook for a few minutes then added the rest of the ingredients and let simmer for about 30 minutes. I have made quite a few chili's and came up with my own recipes and all of them were either done in a crock pot or my dutch oven and cooked for a good part of the day. This quick one I threw together in one pot and it took only 30 minutes. It came out just as good as all the others, lol. I will have to remember this version for an easy dinner later down the road. I also made a quick cheese sauce out of cheddar and pepper jack I had in the fridge and started with a classic bechemel sauce. It was the perfect addition to our chili fries. The kids were pleased and polished off their plates. That is always a good sign! My quest to empty out my pantry is going slowly but surely.....:)

1 comment:

Thomas said...

Yummmmmmm.....that looks amazingly delicious...your pictures, literally, make my mouth water. I marvel at your keen ability to "throw together" such an appetizing meal with ingredients just laying about the pantry. What a creative compromise!! :)