Food Quotes

"Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it." ~Julia Child


Luv2Cook

I am a single mother of two beautiful children Ben and Sophia. Together the three of us are setting out to explore all things culinary. We are planning on sharing all of our experiences such as creating a new recipe, making sweet treats, finding interesting places to eat, and whatever else we decide to share. The most important thing is to get them involved in the whole process so that they wont be so picky and hopefully gain an appreciation for ingredients.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mango Cardamom Coffee Cake

Ingredients from my pantry
 Coffee Cake Cut Top VIew

I wanted to make something to bring into work tomorrow and so I looked in my fridge and saw a mango and remembered that I found a recipe on an Indian website not to long ago that had one for a Mango Coffee Cake. The reason this recipe stuck out to me was for the use of cardamom in it as well as the mango. Cardamom is a wonderful spice orginating from India and is used in both sweet and savory dishes. It is part of the ginger family and is very aromatic. I used it in culinary school when we were cooking Indian Cuisine and never used it at home. Well while I was developing cupcake recipes I decided to try it in a carrot cake recipe and it worked wonderfully. Now I look for recipes to use this amazing spice. This simple crumb cake packs a lot of flavor the batter is simple just your basic creaming the butter and sugar, I used almond extract and a combo of AP flour and cake for a lighter cake. I folded in toasted sliced almonds and sprinkled the mango on top of the batter in the pan and then added your basic struesel topping with the addition of the cardamom. The tender cake and the crunch of the topping along with the pieces of mango all compliment each other nicely. I am going to try this recipe with other fruits as well.  I need to pull out my camera and stop using my camera on my phone, these pics dont do this lovely cake justice.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

If the pictures were any better I imagine that there might be some slobber on my monitor...Your wording of the description of this treat was quite articulate....very enjoyable read!